I’ve been coding (startup- and PhD-related stuff) almost every day for about half a year now, so this weekend I decided to procrastinate a little bit… by coding non-urgent things. Specifically, I thought my website needed some redesigning.
When I first made it last summer, I had had essentially zero experience of web development. I used Hugo website generator which made my life much easier. I could import a theme, change a few parameters, write a blog post in Markdown and voilà—I had a non-bloated static website ready to deploy to a server.
As I’ve learned more about how webpages work,1 I wanted to tweak my website in various little ways. But I spent more time analyzing HTML and CSS definitions of the theme that I was using than actually improving the website. Also, I got tired from my website’s design. Too many people are using that same theme and, also, some stylistic choices didn’t make much sense to me.
Thus, on Friday, I thought I’d give a shot at redesigning the website. I still used Hugo, but instead of importing someone else’s theme, I decided to design HTML templates myself and use Bootstrap for base CSS2. For design inspiration, I used the New York Review of Books website—I adopted one (red and yellow) of their many beautiful color schemes and I also redid blog post headers by mimicking some of their layouts.
Other changes made include:
- I no longer show estimated reading time for any of the essays.
- I no longer use Font Awesome icons. I realized I don’t need any icons at all!
- I converted bitmap images in the blog posts to WebP format for smaller size. One extremely annoying thing is that a lot of websites still don’t support WebP for the Open Graph protocol (used for content previews), so I still have to use JPG or PNG for that.
- I have a new 404 page!
If you find anything broken, please let me know!
Out of necessity, really, because I needed to build a dynamic web app for creating quiz questions for Ab Initio AI. ↩︎